European Union: An Historical and Political Survey (Hardcover)
The new edition of this best-selling text provides the most up-to-date single volume history of the European Union from its origins through to the present day. Fully updated and revised throughout, this is the ideal starting point for students and others wishing to read an accessible, readable and comprehensive account of the development of the EU.
Topics new to this edition:
- The impact of the Euro and economic and monetary union.
- Analysis of post-9/11 splits in the EU over Afghanistan and Iraq, and debates on the New European security order and the threat posed by terrorism.
- The enlargement of the EU to 27 members and discussions over further expansion.
- The initial failure of the EU Constitutional Treaty.
- The growth in Euroscepticism across the continent.
An engaging contribution to the understanding of the past, present and uncertain future of European integration, European Union is essential reading for all students of European history, European Union politics, and International Relations.